VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
Industry chiefs warn “holiday” needs to be extended or economy could take £4bn hit Property industry leaders are pressuring the Government to extend the Stamp Duty holiday because increased pressure on service providers is causing huge delays for buyers and sellers. A joint letter – sent to the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and signed by …Read more...
Tall, elegant houseplants can add a vivid flourish to today’s clean and clinical home. And, surprisingly, some do more than just look good Back in the day, when lava lamps and Hostess tea trolleys were all the rage, no self-respecting home was without a rubber plant; an ungainly, spindly, temperamental thing with large, glossy green …Read more...
Halloween will, like most of 2020, be a different experience this year, however, we have a great guide to make it special at home… Halloween has always been about Trick-or-Treat, pumpkins and decorating your house, however, this year, with Trick-or-Treating all but off the schedule, we thought we would look at the ways to …Read more...
It’s that time of year where we are all looking for a good scare and where better to start than some of the most terrifying places around the UK… On the build-up to Halloween, some of us get comfy on the sofa with a good horror film, while others are more adventurous. If you …Read more...
With the kitchen one of the hubs of the home, it’s key to ensure that you have everything you need to make it fully functional Like any good workspace, your kitchen needs the right tools. Having these to hand will ensure you cook up a storm in no time. But fear not, we tell you …Read more...